The University is starting this two year project to improve the accessibility of its campus, programs, and activities.
Surveys & Reports
LCM is developing a Transition Plan for Ohio University, by working together the plan improves the accessibility of Ohio University’s main campus. These efforts are in compliance with accessibility requirements of Title II of the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. .
ADA Transition Plan work includes:
- Conduct surveys of buildings and exterior routes to identify barriers to program accessibility
- Prepare reports recommending modifications with cost estimates
- Develop criteria and strategies to prioritize accessibility projects
- Recommend additions to the University’s design standards with optimal building element dimensions
- Train University staff on design standards and assessment report tracking tools
Located in the Appalachian foothills, the historic campus poses a number of accessibility challenges. Exterior routes are complicated by dramatic grade changes in rolling terrain, and the majority of buildings were built in eras preceding the ADA regulations. As with many higher education campuses, both space and budget pose challenges when moving academic offerings to achieve program accessibility.