UIUC Natural History Building Renovation

 
UIUC NORTHEAST CORNER PERSPECTIVE
 
 
 
 
 

The Natural History Building on the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign Campus was official listed on the National Register of Historic Places in November of 1986 as part of the Nathan C. Ricker Thematic District. The original building, completed in 1894, was designed by Ricker, the first graduate of UIUC School of Architecture and the first student to graduate from an architectural program in the United States. With multiple additions in 1908, 1910 and 1921, the Natural History Building has grown significantly and parts have been re-purposed throughout the past 120 years.  

The University has decided to do a comprehensive renovation, repurposing, and modernization of the facility that will address deferred maintenance items as well as multi-story courtyard infill additions. The project incorporates all necessary work required to remediate structural issues that the building has suffered, upgrade the infrastructure including new mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, and storm water management. The building will be brought up to meet the 2010 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
 
When completed, the building will house the School of Earth, Society, and Environment (SESE) and the School of integrative Biology (SIB) both in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS). When completed, the building will include a large lecture hall, classrooms, shared multi functional spaces, common areas, instructional, and research laboratories, faculty offices and support spaces. 
 
The building is currently being designed to meet LEED Silver.
 

LCM Architects     |     819 South Wabash Suite 509     |     Chicago, Illinois 60605    |    312.913.1717    |    © LCM Architects 2012